Головна

Шкільна бібліотека

Перелік предметів

Англійська мова
Біологія
Географія
Економіка
Інформатика
Історія
Математика
Німецька мова
ОБЖ
Політологія
Право
Природознавство
Психологія і педагогіка
Російська мова
Соціологія
Фізика
Філософія
Французька мова
Українська мова
Хімія

Підручники в PDF


 

Texts for topics - Мегазбірка тем з англійської мови
MY CITY

PLACES TO SEE IN KHARKIV: GOLDEN CROWN OF THE OLD KHARKIV USPENSKYI (ASSUMPTION) CATHEDRAL, A MONUMENT OF ARCHITECTURE OF THE XVIII CENTURY

During the whole period of its existence, the Cathedral played a very important role in public and cultural life of the city-dwellers.

The role of the Cathedral was the leading one also due to its location. From here, from the heart of Kharkiv, the city took its start that time as a fortress. Since the time of foundation of Kharkiv the majority of streets had been oriented to the Cathedral; and today in the borders of the historical part of the city are counted more than 25 streets.

The first "Assembly Church of Assumption of the Holiest Virgin" made of red and new wood was erected in Kharkiv yet in the middle of the XVII century. The name of the church was connected with the Christian holiday of the Assumption of the Holiest Virgin.

The sizes of that church were insignificant (about 8,5 meters in height). It was situated a little bit to the north from the place where the present building of the Uspenski Cathedral is located.

By the 80s of the XVII century Kharkiv had expanded, and in 1685 the construction of the first Kharkiv stone Assembly temple began, and it was consecrated and opened in 1688. Its plan had the form of cross and was crowned by five heads — central and lateral, located to the sides of the world.

But even this cathedral was not destined to survive up to our days. The strong fire, which broke out in Kharkiv on May 3, 1733, destroyed many houses and constructions, all the trade facilities, and only stone walls of Uspensky Cathedral escaped fire. Though it was completely restored next year, there were numerous cracks in the building, its further usage became dangerous. In this connection in 1771 the disassembly of the old cathedral and the construction of the new started.

The gradual construction of the new cathedral lasted for about 12 years and had finally been completed by 1783.

In 1819 the decision on construction of the new bell-tower for the temple was made, and it was provided for opening there a heated church to commemorate the name of St. Prince Alexander Nevski, in the memory of the, victories of Russian army over Napoleon in 1812—1814s. The inhabitants of Kharkiv decided to immortalise the memory of the famous ending of the war this way,

Construction of the bell-tower of Uspensky Cathedral became a unique phenomenon in architectural life of that time's Russia. It is enough to tell that the bell-tower in Kharkiv (it totals 285 stairs) surpassedthe bell-tower of the Moscow Kremlin known under the name "Ivan-the-Great" in 4,5 meters in height, much surpassed Triumphal gates at Tver barrier in Moscow and many other towers. It conceded in height only to the famous Isaac Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Its bells are concerned to the number of sights of the bell-tower. There were 12 ones, the largest one had the weight of about 16,1 tons, and the smallest one — about 8 kilograms.

The Assembly bell-tower of Kharkiv remains the highest building in the city yet up to today.

Unfortunately, in the Soviet period in the 30s all this beauty was largely lost, the Cathedral was closed. All the five domes of the Cathedral were subjected to destruction.

Before the World War II, the first Kharkiv radio broadcasting station was placed here. In the years of the war the Cathedral and the bell-tower survived, despite any holocaust.

In the end of the 50s the repair of the Cathedral was performed, the clock was installed again. However, the idea of returning Uspensky Cathedral its initial appearance, which it had in the second half of the XVIII century, was born only in the 70s of the XX century. And after the major overhaul it opened its doors again — for music fans.

It was decided to arrange a hall of organ music in the Cathedral, and a hall of chamber music in the bell-tower. Sound part of the organ, installed in Kharkiv, consists of 3574 pipes of various length and diameter, was produced by "Riger Kluss" firm from the city of Krnov (Czechoslovakia) to the special order. The hall of organ music can seat 500 persons. Its opening was held on June 1, 1986, and since then festivals of chamber music, literary evenings, and concerts have been carried in the Cathedral, here have performed famous singers, musicians, ensembles, church choruses.

VOCABULARY

Church [tʃə:tʃ] of Assumption [ə'sʌmpʃ(ə)n] of the Holiest Virgin ['həulɪəst 'və:d3ɪn] — церква Успіння Пресвятої Богородиці

to expand [ɪks'paend] — розширювати(ся)

to consecrate ['kɔnsɪkreɪt] — освячувати

to survive [sə:vaɪv] — уціліти, продовжувати існувати

to surpass [sə:'pa:s] — перевершувати

chamber music ['tʃeɪmbə 'mju:zɪk] — камерна музика

QUESTIONS

1. Why was the role of the Cathedral leading?

2. Why did the Church receive the name Church of Assumption ?

3. Was the church high?

4. When did the construction of the first Kharkiv stone Assembly temple begin?

5. Did this cathedral survive up to our days?

6. When the gradual construction of the new cathedral finally been completed?

7. What is the highest building in the city up to today?

8. When did the Cathedral open its doors again — for music fans?

Визначні пам'ятки Харкова: Золотий вінець старого Харкова

Успенський собор — пам'ятка архітектури XVIII століття

Протягом усього періоду свого існування собор відігравав величезну роль у громадському і культурному житті містян.

Роль собору була чільною ще і за місцем розташування. Звідси, із самого серця Харкова, в той час і починалося місто — Харківська фортеця. З часу заснування Харкова більшість вулиць була орієнтована на собор; і сьогодні в межах історичної частини міста нараховується понад 25 вулиць.

Перша соборна церква Успіння Пресвятої Богородиці, зведена із «червоного і нового лісу», була збудована в Харкові ще в середині XVII ст. Назва церкви була пов'язана з християнським святом Успіння Богородиці.

Розміри тієї церкви були невеликі (висота близько 8,5 метра). Розташовувалася вона трохи північніше від того місця, де розташована теперішня будівля Успенського собору.

У 80-х роках XVII ст. Харків розростається, і 1685 року починається будівництво першого в Харкові кам'яного соборного храму, що був освячений і відкритий 1688 року. Він мав хрестоподібну форму й вінчався п'ятьма главами — центральною і бічними, розташованими за напрямками сторін світу.

Але і цьому собору не випало зберегтися до наших днів. Сильна пожежа в Харкові, що спалахнула 3 травня 1733-року, знищила багато подвір'їв і будівель, усі торгові лавки, а від Успенського собору збереглися лише кам'яні стіни. І хоча наступного року він був цілком відновлений, у будівлі з'явилися численні тріщини, його подальше використання стало небезпечним. І через це 1771 року почали розбирати старий собор і будувати новий.

Поетапне будівництво нового собору тривало близько 12 років і остаточно було завершене 1783 року.

В 1819 році було прийняте рішення про будівництво нової дзвіниці для храму, де передбачалося відкрити теплу церкву на честь св. князя Олександра Невського, на згадку про перемоги російської армії над Наполеоном у 1812—1814 роках. Так мешканці Харкова вирішили увічнити пам'ять про славнозвісне завершення Вітчизняної війни.

Будівництво дзвіниці Успенського собору стало унікальним явищем в архітектурному житті Росії того часу. Досить сказати, що дзвіниця в Харкові (на сходах нараховується 285 сходинок) на 4,5 метра перевершувала за висотою дзвіницю Московського Кремля, відому під ім'ям «Івана Великого», значно перевершувала Тріумфальні ворота Тверської застави в Москві і багато інших високих споруд. Поступалася висотою вона лише відомому Ісакієвському собору в Петербурзі. До числа визначних пам'яток дзвіниці належали і її дзвони. їх було 12, найбільший важив близько 16,1 тонни, найменший — близько 8 кг.

Харківська соборна дзвіниця і дотепер залишається найвищою будівлею міста.

На жаль, у радянський період, у 30-ті роки, все це значною мірою було втрачено, собор був закритий. Були зруйновані також усі п'ять куполів собору.

До Великої Вітчизняної війни тут розміщалася перша харківська радіостанція. В роки війни, попри все, собор і дзвіниця вистояли.

Наприкінці 50-х років був зроблений ремонт собору, знову встановили годинник. Проте ідея надати Успенському собору початкового вигляду, який він мав у другій половині XVIII ст., народилася тільки в 70-х роках XX ст. І після капітального ремонту він знову відчинив свої двері — для любителів музики.

У соборі вирішено було влаштувати зал органної, а в дзвіниці — зал камерної музики. Встановлений у Харкові орган, звукова частина якого складається з 3574 різних за довжиною і діаметром труб, виконаний на спеціальне замовлення фірмою «Рігер Клосс» із міста Крнов (Чехословаччина). Зал органної музики вміщає 500 чоловік. Його відкриття відбулося 1 червня 1986 року, і відтоді у соборі проводяться концерти, фестивалі камерної музики, літературні вечори, виступають відомі музиканти, співаки, ансамблі, церковні хори.


НазадЗмістВперед

 

 
© www.SchoolLib.com.ua